Saturday, May 9, 2015

Update

Update:
It's been over a week since the peanut butter at school incident occurred.  The principal has still not spoken with me directly and Molly has encountered this substitute twice with no apology from her.  I feel like the issue is being avoided- which is so irritating.  When my child breaks a rule or does something wrong I make her apologize.  I think that adults should do the same.  By not apologizing you are giving kids mixed messages and they are less likely to do the right thing next time.  I also feel by not apologizing the school and the substitute teacher are showing total disregard for my child and her peanut allergy (and did I mention her 504 plan failed her in this instance?!).  The regular classroom teacher told me that the kids do not like this substitute pretty much based on this incident and her attitude towards them.  Maybe if she APOLOGIZED, the kids would see she actually does care about them, that she can show humility and empathy, she can admit adults can make mistakes too, and they would actually like her...just a thought.

SIDE NOTE:  I have told Molly that under no circumstance is she to be rude or unkind. I don't expect her to be overly friendly, because she seems to intimidated by this woman, but I will not tolerate her being rude.  If their is a problem from here on out she is to go to the office or go to the bathroom and call me on her cell phone.  I am also considering having these instructions put into a 504 plan, just so she feels more comfortable because this is causing her anxiety.

No comments:

Post a Comment