Sunday, August 24, 2014

Reflections: Face of Food Allergies

The responses written to The No Nut Traveler in reference to the article that appeared on Yahoo were absolutely appalling.  All that was being asked was for fair and consistent policies from the airlines in regards to traveling with nut allergies. No one was asking for anything unreasonable.  Being able to BREATHE and LIVE isn't an "entitlement" as some like to call it.  Unfortunately for people like my daughter, others often feel that their right to eat whatever they want whenever they want wherever they want trumps her right to LIVE.  Guess what?  IT DOES NOT.  HUMAN LIFE COMES FIRST.  ALWAYS.  I cannot believe I have spent two days even blogging about this??!!  Isn't this common sense?!?!

After reflecting on yesterday's blog, I decided that food allergies need a face.  I am hoping that giving a face to food allergies will help others to recognize that people with food allergies are people YOU probably see and come in contact with everyday.  I hope that putting a face with food allergies will show that the negative and rude responses ARE PERSONAL to us- that these allergies are truly life and death.   These people with food allergies are our families, children, co-workers, friends, and neighbors.  Food allergies could easily effect you or your family- the face in the picture could be you or your child.

I am asking that if you are comfortable sharing a picture of your loved one with a food allergy on social media, you do so and pass it on :-)  I shared my beautiful picture of Molly on Twitter, using the hashtag #faceoffoodallergies

No comments:

Post a Comment